The MWS Flexible Tuition Program
The Middle Way School thrives on the principle of inclusion. We actively seek to build a community that is rich with diverse cultures, races, talents, interests, learning profiles, and economic and ethnic backgrounds. Because this is a pilot school, and because we have had the support of a global community of friends and foundations who wish to see this school succeed, we have historically been able to offer ample financial aid to meet families at whatever tuition level they are able to afford.
To date, Khyentse Foundation (KF), a global non-denominational Buddhist philanthropic organization based in San Francisco, has dedicated more than $3 million dollars toward the launch and smooth operations of MWS. KF purchased the property and supported the building of classrooms in the interest of providing a safe and uplifted campus for the research and development of a Buddhist model of education. Over the past 5 years, all families have automatically received subsidized tuition. Additionally, our financial aid packages are completely sponsored by KF.
As we reach a new level of maturity, we need to move toward a fiscal model comparable to other rural independent schools and for that we look to this beautiful community that has formed. As we hope our current families have come to see, the individualized attention each child gets at Middle Way, the exposure to wisdom traditions, the parent programs, and the unparalleled quality of MWS teachers, are priceless.
There is a comfortable middle ground between offering too much and not enough. We believe that tuition shouldn’t create hardship. It should be like a good stretch or a yoga position–you push until you feel a little burn but don’t go further. And in the end, that little bit of stretch ends up feeling really good. And if you stretch, we might be able to help another family who cannot. In the end, we want to help families feel good about their contribution.
Ready to apply? Click the link below.
Kindergarten-6th Grade: $13,950
Preschool Program: $12,555
10% off for second child
15% off for third child
20% off thereafter
There is a $450 materials fee which acts as your deposit and is non-refundable, plus a $20 Parent Community Association fee. Families wishing to apply for financial aid are encouraged to do so without hesitation. For more information about this process, download our Financial Aid Instructions.
All tuition is generously subsidized by a special grant from Khyentse Foundation, a Buddhist philanthropic organization. As we work toward becoming more self-reliant, we respectfully ask those who have the means to waive this subsidy and pay the full cost per student ($19,500). This will be reflected by a base tuition rate of $13,950 plus a one-time tax-deductible donation of $5,550.
We offer rolling admissions, accepting applications throughout the year if there is space. Contact [email protected] to inquire.
We enroll without discriminating against any race, age, national or ethnic origin, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or socioeconomic background and will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. As an institution and as individuals we have the responsibility to actively change the power differences that perpetuate biases against historically underrepresented and disadvantaged groups. We welcome your experience and input on how our school community can do this.
Middle Way School is accepting 2023-2024 applications for the following grades: Kindergarten, 1st, 4th, and 6th.
Our other classes are currently full. If you would like to be notified if a spot opens up, please contact [email protected].
Guide to Applying
- Campus Tour. We recommend that anyone interested in applying to Middle Way check out our campus first. General tours can be arranged through Cara Baker, our Admissions Coordinator, at [email protected].
- Admissions Application. Complete one TADS application per child. There is a $45 application fee. Our Admissions Committee begins reviewing all applications February 1, 2023.
- Teacher Feedback and Student Reports. In addition to the information provided in the admissions application, we rely on teacher feedback and other student reports and evaluations if applicable. Collectively, this helps us assess whether Middle Way can meet the needs of a prospective student. For students who have already entered kindergarten, please have your child’s current teacher complete a teacher feedback form and upload this along with your TADS application.If your child has had any educational, therapeutic or psychological evaluations, please include in the documents section of the application. Note that our Admissions Committee will not begin reviewing an application without a teacher feedback form.
- Financial Aid. If you are applying for financial aid, please complete an application in SSS. In addition to a financial aid application, we rely heavily on a personal letter to the Middle Way Financial Aid Committee that helps us better understand your circumstances. There is a $60 financial aid application fee. More information about the financial aid process can be found HERE.
- Classroom Visit. Students applying for grades 1-6 will be invited to join their prospective classroom for an immersive half-day visit. Preschool and kindergarten applicants will be invited for a shorter visit with the classroom teacher.
- Additional Follow-Up. Our Learning Support Coordinator may reach out to further discuss learning support needs.
- Notification. Generally, we send out acceptance notifications via email within two weeks of your child’s visit.
- Enrollment. Should you decide to enroll once accepted, you will be prompted by the TADS system to complete enrollment using a personalized link. During this step you will be asked to provide information about your child and your household, fill out an emergency card, sign and upload consent forms and health records, etc.
- Agreement and Materials Fee. Once enrollment is complete, the final step is to sign an agreement and pay a $450 materials fee and $20 PCA fee, which act as non-refundable deposits. At this time, you will also be able to choose your payment method and installment plan. Your child is considered enrolled once we have a signed agreement and materials fee.